Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Bend in the Road

Where are you going young man
Old man, I wish I knew
Why do you walk so hard
Of my fate, You would too

Life is not always a riddle son
Elder, you know not my story
But I have the time to hear it
Oh, what brings you to worry

Men half your age look better
Than the miles across your back
Your shoes worn thin from running
And your stuff, It falls out your sack

I'll not dare to be as gray as you
You, with the golden cane of age
The miles of been kind to you I see
And here you pretend to be a sage

Enough with your scoffing boy
When little you really know
Your wars fought, I fought them too
Back when your seed did not grow

Then Tell me Grandpa, Tell me now
Answer me the questions and fruits
What have you to gain me this night
Where hang your ancient boots

Instead of talking, the old man just stares
Mist fills his eyes, His body aches with pain
The memories of his past flood out from him
They dance like gypsies on his addled brain

The young lad just watches, intent and slow
He now breathes in the aging man's trails
His own struggles seem less infinite tonight
A saga of agony once hidden behind veils

Late that night, the elder man does sleep
He dreams of the past, Of how to go back
Ten thousand summer nights tossed away
More illusions than answers hidden in his sack

And under another roof, the child sleeps too
He was shown the end of his own reckless heart
What may become of him if nothing did change
Instead of a sordid past, He dreams of a new start

No comments:

Post a Comment